Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Friday, September 28, 2007

Pinwheel Flank Steak

Pin It

I have a tried and true marinade for flank steak, so I've been in a rut with this cut of meat. Trying to cook out of the box (literally!), I tried this new recipe from Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer.

Though the cookbook doesn't come with pictures, three things drew me to it: 1) great reviews on Amazon, 2) the recipes list single & multiple ingredient lists, and 3) the dinners looked tasty! This is the first recipe I've tried from the book. (It's hard when my "To Try" cookbook of clippings & computer print outs has at least a hundred recipes in it!!)

I made this recipe in triplicate, because I was fairly certain we'd like it (we did).

Pinwheel Flank Steak (single recipe)

Pound to a 1/2" thickness*:
1 beef flank steak, about 1 1/2 pounds

Combine marinade:
2 C red burgandy wine (I used a big ol' bottle of Gallo)
1/2 C finely chopped green onions
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Pour the marinade over flank steaks, and marinate for 3-4 hours.

Fry until almost done, but not crisp**:
1/2 lb. bacon


Combine the rest of the filling:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 C minced fresh parsley
1/4 C finely chopped onion***

Remove the meat from the marinade, and score the steak on both sides.**** Spread the filling over the meat, and add the strips of bacon lengthwise on the steak. Roll up the steak, starting with the shorter end. Tie with a cotton string at 1/2" intervals.***** Place the steak in a freezer bag, along with a little of the marinade.****** Remove as much air as possible from the bag.


To cook:

Partially thaw the steak. Cut into 1 1/2" slices, and lay flat until completely thawed. Use toothpicks to hold it together if necessary. Grill over medium heat (5-7 minutes per side) or until desired doneness.

*Yeah, that didn't happen. I pounded with all my rheumatoid arthritic might. It was about 3/4" thick, and worked just fine.

**I like my bacon crispy and done. So I cooked it completely, and crumbled it into the mixture. It worked fine. Next time, I would still cook it completely, but I would keep it in whole strips.

***My onion was from my freezer stash. See those white clumps?? Those are the frozen onion pieces.

****OOPS! Forgot to do this step.

*****Don't get too hung up on how you make your ties. It will work out.

******You have to realize this is from a freezer cooking cookbook. If you want to eat it the same day, I recommend putting it in the freezer for about 30 minutes or so, as it will be more solid for easier slicing.

My notes: My favorite way to prepare flank steak remains with my tried and true marinade from San Francisco Encore. However, this was a nice change of pace. It has a nice presentation, and I'd definitely make it again. I'd add a bit more garlic, but I tend to add a bit more garlic to nearly everything.

The cookbook also lists a Fresh Mango Salsa to serve with the pinwheel steaks. I did not make the sauce, but will list the recipe:

Fresh Mango Salsa

In a non-metal bowl, combine:
1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/3 C finely diced red onion
3 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 1/2 t finely minced garlic
1 1/2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
1 T finely grated lime zest
1 small jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
1/4-1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t sugar (or to taste)

Cover tightly, and chill from 30 minutes - 4 hours.

Just before serving, add:
2 T fresh parsley, coarsely chopped

1 comment:

Angelina said...

In spite of the fact that I have always been a vegetarian, you sure do make pretty meat! I can't help but admire it.