Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, August 13, 2007

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER...

Pin It
These are the only chocolate chip cookies that have ever turned out for me. I have tried Tollhouse's and Hillary Clinton's versions, among many others. I've tried non-stick, air-insulated, stoneware, foil-lined, and parchment-lined pans. I've had so many ovens....with hot/cool spots in all different places. No matter what I tried, my chocolate chip cookies were pathetic: hard and flat.

Then one day, many years ago, a woman named Van (Van was an older woman who attended “Arthritis Aquatics” with me in Bloomington, Indiana.) brought a plate of the YUMMIEST chocolate chip cookies to some event. They were fabulous! She said that key to their success is in the ingredients. She told me not to substitute brands. She swore by Gold Medal flour.

An added bonus: they can be made in one large mixing bowl!

Now, while I present her original recipe here, I must admit I make one little alteration to the recipe: I use about half of the recommended chocolate chips! So, that's why my photo may not be quite as mouth-watering to those of you who are die-hard chocolate fans. But trust me...whether you like a little or a lot of chips, these are GOOD!!

Van’s Chocolate Chip Cookies

Mix:
2 sticks softened margarine. (Fleischmans is recommended. Do not use reduced fat margarine, butter, or a spread. Do not soften in the microwave.)
1 C brown sugar
1 C sugar

Add:
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 ½ TB vanilla
1 tsp salt
Add:
3 C Gold Medal all purpose flour

Stir in:
2 C chocolate chips

Drop by small ice cream scoop onto foil lined* cookie sheet. Preheat oven & bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Makes 4 1/4 dozen cookies.

* I have stoneware and air-insulated cookie sheets and don't line them with foil. Both pans work equally well with this recipe.

No comments: