Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Friday, November 28, 2008

Lumpy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Pin It
Have I ever mentioned how much I love garlic? I (and those in my immediate family, thank goodness!!) LOVE garlic. So much that my mom and sister constantly kid me about it, asking if it's possible for me to make anything without garlic. After thinking about this, there's not much. I don't do garlic for breakfast (though my husband recently revealed he does like it with his eggs) or for dessert. Other than that...if you're a guest for dinner...be prepared for garlic.

I also happen to love mashed potatoes. I will eat them any way you prepare them (no instant flakes, thank you very much!), but my favorite way is lumpy with garlic. I also keep the skin on. That's one thing I got from my mom. So, if you want pure white smooth potatoes, you better bring your own. Mine are lumpy!

Here's my recipe:

Lumpy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Wash up a bunch of baking (Idaho) potatoes. Cut them into quarters (or sixths if they're large), discarding any bruised spots. Fill a large pot about 3/4 full with potato chunks and then add water so it barely covers the potatoes. Add a few (4-6) cloves of peeled garlic. Put the cloves in whole; no need to press or chop them. Boil until a fork can easily pierce the potatoes.

Drain the potatoes and place back in the pot. Add 1-2 sticks of butter, and put a lid on the pan. Let the pan sit for a few minutes until the butter has melted. Add some milk, to make them a little creamy. I would guess that I put in about a half a cup for a 6 qt. pot of potatoes.

Start mashing with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper to taste (this is the best part...tasting as you go...with a clean spoon each time, of course!!).

Keep mashing until it's all mixed and then serve hot. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I like them lumpy with the skins too.

dg said...

Hooray for lumpy potatoes!