Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers

Pin It For the past few weeks I've been going through my magazine collection, tearing out articles I want to save.   I have a pile for gardening articles, one for recipes, and another miscellaneous one (not sure how I'll organize that pile!).  Tonight I went through all the recipe clippings and chose two new meals to make this week.

On the menu tonight:   Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers from the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Cooking Light.  Included in the spice mix was fennel, which I don't use very often.  (In fact, I really should replace my fennel as I have no idea how old it is!)  The inclusion of red bell peppers and balsamic vinegar gave me a feeling that this was going to be good...and I was right.  This recipe will move into the "Family Favorites" cookbook immediately. 

Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers
(Cooking Light)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix together in a small prep bowl:
     3/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
     1/2 tsp salt
     1/4 tsp black pepper
     1/4 tsp garlic powder
     1/4 tsp dried oregano

Mix together in a medium bowl:
     2 C thinly sliced red bell pepper
     1 C thinly sliced yellow bell pepper*
     1/2 C thinly sliced shallots (about 1 large)
     1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
   
Brush with olive oil:
     4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts**

Heat up a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.

While the pan is heating, sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken breasts.  I sprinkled them in a bowl, and tossed them, to coat them evenly.

When the skillet is hot, and 1 1/2 tsp olive oil to the pan.  Add the chicken and cook until browned.  Turn the chicken over, browning the other side.

Place the chicken in a baking dish and cook until done (about 5 minutes for thin breasts; 10 for thicker ones).  DON'T CLEAN OUT THE PAN....you'll use those drippings!

While the chicken is in the oven, add the pepper mix to the pan.  Saute for 3 minutes.

Stir in, and scrape the pan to loosen the browned bits.
     1 C chicken broth (fat free, low sodium)

Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in:
     1 TB balsamic vinegar
     1/4 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp black pepper

Serve pepper mixture over chicken .

Yield:  4 servings (1 breast half and about 1/2 cup of the pepper mixture)
Calories  282; fat 11 g; protein 359 g; fiber 1.9 g; chol 94 mg; iron 2 mg; sodium 644 mg; calc 38 mg.

 *I didn't have yellow and just used red.

**I sliced mine in half, lengthwise, to make them thinner.

Suggested side dish:
Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes:  Place 1 1/2 pounds cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender.  Drain; return to pan.  Add 1/3 cup milk, 3 TB mascarpone cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Mash to desired consistency.
 

No comments: