Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, March 10, 2008

Steak Marinade

Pin It
Last week I made four marinades from allrecipes.com for petite sirloin steaks. One of them was simply called Steak Marinade. Tonight I defrosted the steaks, which had been frozen in the marinade. I do love these quick and easy meals...it takes about 10-15 minutes to defrost a couple steaks in a sink full of hot water.

Usually defrosting with a cold water bath is recommended for food safety, but that would be for thicker meats that are going to take some time to thaw....like a whole chicken or turkey. You don't want food to be in the 40-140 degree range for more than 4 hours (the 4-4-4 rule). To cool/heat food back to food safe temperatures, food safety experts recommend that food should not be out at room temperature for more than two hours. That gives them the other two hours to chill/heat back to safe temps. Anyway...what I'm getting at, is that it is perfectly safe to use a hot water bath for a couple of steaks!

Moving on...

What I was most worried about was that this marinade would have a heavy A-1 Sauce flavoring...and I was right. A-1 is really not a sauce that I like at all. I can't describe what it is that I don't like, but I just think it's one of the worst flavorings for meat! I really don't get why it's so popular. So, while I liked this steak, I didn't love it. And it's probably not something I'll make again because there are so many other great flavors out there! But, if you're a fan of A-1 Sauce, you will probably like this.

Steak Marinade (allrecipes.com)

In a medium bowl combine:
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup steak sauce
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar salad dressing
4 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Add a couple steaks, marinate, and grill.

No comments: