Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Friday, January 4, 2008

Marinated Flank Steak

Pin It
This understated title and simple marinade makes a killer steak. This has long been one of our summer favorites. In fact, I'd say this steak might just make our Top 10 Favorite Dinners list, if we ever got around to creating a list. Every time we serve it at a BBQ, the guests gush over this one. It's soooooo easy, and sooooo good. Only recently have I started to freeze it ahead of time, so all I have to do is defrost, grill, slice, and enjoy!

Though the recipe calls for flank steak, we've also made it with sirloin, and will be trying it with chicken soon.* Flank steaks used to be a bargain cut, but in the past few years I've had a hard time finding it under $7 per pound. Since petite and top sirloins (even good, thick cuts) go on sale for $3.49/lb. frequently, we've been making more often with the sirloin. Last week, however, I found flank steak on sale for $4.49/lb. and bought eight steaks. I would have bought more, but I'm really running out of freezer room! I marinated four and made something else (see tomorrow!) with the others.

Marinated Flank Steak (San Francisco Encore)

1/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C honey
1/4 C dry white wine
1/4 C thinly sliced green onions
2 TB grated onion
2 TB balsamic vinegar
2 TB sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp ginger

1-2 flank steaks

Combine all ingredients, except the steak/s. Pour over the steak and marinate overnight. Place the steak on a hot grill & cook 4-5 minutes per side, basting with the marinade. Slice thinly on the diagonal & serve.



< ----- 4 flank steaks, 6 chicken breasts ready to freeze






* While the chicken wasn't bad, it wasn't all that great. This is definitely best with beef.

No comments: