Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mini Egg Rolls

Pin It
(Not the best photo.  It was dark, and I took it in a hurry.  Don't let that stop you from trying the recipe though!)
For our annual Christmas party, I thought about making potstickers -again-.  I make them every now and then, and while, they're a hit, I wanted to make something different.  Egg rolls were the first things to come to mind.  I searched different on-line recipes, and finally settled on an adaptation from Allrecipes.com.    I planned on making full sized egg rolls, but when Brian came home from the store, they were out of the full sized wrappers, and just had the won-ton wrappers. In the end, I LOVED the won-ton wrapper size for a party.  They're the perfect bite-sized morsel.  Easy to eat, and tasty too!

Mini Egg Rolls

Mix in a bowl and set aside:
     2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
     2 tablespoons water

Shred:
     3 C cabbage
     1/4-1/2 C carrots

Saute the shredded veggies with:
     2 TB soy sauce
     2 TB water

Cook thoroughly in a skillet:
     1 lb ground pork
     2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
     2 tsp garlic powder

Mix the veggie/pork mixture together in a bowl.

Place a dab of the pork/veggie mixture in the center of a won-ton wrapper.  Place a dab of the flour paste on the top corner (this will be the "glue", keeping it together).  Fold the side corners in toward the middle.  Fold the bottom corner up toward the middle, rolling upward. Continue until you've used up the rest of the pork mixture. 

Heat oil (about 1/4" in the pan) in a large frying pan to 375 degrees (medium-high heat).  When the oil is hot enough to sizzle, quickly place the mini egg rolls in the pan.  Cook until the side is golden brown, then turn over.  When both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan onto a plate or shallow bowl that's lined with a paper towel (to absorb any grease).  

Serve plain (yes, they're good enough to eat without sauce!) or with your favorite Asian dipping sauce. 

FREEZING

They're also easy to freeze.  I doubled this recipe and served half at Christmas time, and half at our Super Bowl party today.  Once I filled the won-ton wrappers, I placed each mini egg roll on a baking sheet to flash freeze.  Then I placed them in a FoodSaver bag, sucked out all the air, and put them in my freezer, Beauty (Yes, I've named my freezer!!).   To quickly thaw, I put them in the microwave on defrost for a minute.  Then I proceeded to heat up the oil, and cook them following the directions below.  In just 5 minutes the egg rolls were ready to serve to guests.  It doesn't get any easier than that!

VEGETARIAN OPTION
My daughter's a vegetarian, so I used this same recipe and replaced the pork with GimmeLean ground "beef".   There were several vegetarians at the party, who agreed these were worth making again!


1 comment:

Firefly said...

Like the idea and size. I'm making "Irish" egg rolls with wontons as appetizers for my St Pat's Day party. Didn't like the larger size, too filling, since we're also having a big dinner. So thanks for your advice!