Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Glasses, Glasses, EVERYWHERE!

Pin It
Our family drinks a lot of water, which is a good thing.  The problem is that we (well, mostly the girl) get a glass, fill it with water, and then put it in the dishwasher (the parents) or just leave it around the house (the girl).   When we added a temporary 4th member to our house, I found I was doing two loads of dishes a day....because of all the water glasses!  AACK!

One of my least favorite chores is unloading the dishwasher, so I thought about ways to minimize all the extra glasses each day.  Asking the family members to simply use one glass and keep it on the counter wouldn't work:  1)  Because we'd forget which glass was ours, and 2) I tend to pick up stray glasses and put them all in the dishwasher.

I thought about making "Glass charms" for them, kind of like wine charms.  My sewing supplies were out, so I grabbed some leftover elastic, cut a few pieces of colored ribbon and got out four different charms.  I quickly cut and stitched the elastic into bands, tied on a small piece of colored ribbon and attached a charm.  The whole project took less than five minutes.

In the end we each have an elastic band with a charm that fits us (flower for me, peace sign for the girl, heart for my hubby, and a smiley face for our friend).  When not in use, they hang from the knob on the glass cabinet.  Most of the time, though, they are wrapped around a glass, sitting on the counter. 

By using these charms, we've cut our dishwashing loads in half, saving money, energy, and water.

The next step will be to make about 20 more of them so they're available for parties and gatherings.  

No comments: