Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, June 29, 2009

Pesto Chicken Grill Packets

Pin It
Today, as I was contemplating what to make for dinner tonight, I remembered that it was the night of our meal exchange. That meant that someone else was cookin'! Whoohoooo!! That "someone else" was my friend, Debbie.

She emailed* a note that said she'd made Pesto Chicken Grill Packets. Well, the name alone just made my mouth water. Pesto. Chicken. Grill. The packet part was intriguing. I didn't really look at the recipe....just the directions, which were 25 minutes on the grill (in the packet) on medium heat.

When the timer went off I went and unwrapped my packet for the first time. It really was like opening a present!! This is what I found inside:
Pure heaven.

Katie & her friend had already eaten, and there was some pasta leftover. So I scooped out the food from the packet and placed it on a nest of pasta. YUM!

So here is the recipe for you to try, if you like:

Pesto Chicken Grill Packets
Victoria Spencer from Everyday with Rachael Ray

Ingredients:

  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2-1/4 pounds)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup pesto
  • 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
  • 8 scallions, trimmed

Side note
Serve with rice. (I think I'd prefer pasta.)

Directions:

  1. Preheat a grill to medium. Cut four 12-inch-long sheets of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil into the center of each sheet.

  2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Lay 1 piece of chicken in the center of each sheet and spread 1 tablespoon pesto on top.

  3. Mound one-quarter of the zucchini, tomatoes and scallions over each chicken breast. Dollop 3 tablespoons pesto over each mound. Fold the foil over the chicken and vegetables; pinch the edges to seal.

  4. Cover and grill the packets over indirect heat for 25 minutes. Remove from the grill and open carefully.


*(OK...she didn't really send me an email. It was a Facebook message. We are old, but modern!)

No comments: