Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Honey Lime Grilled Chicken

Pin It Today was a glorious day. Pretty much perfect....sunshine, blue skies, lots of warmth. The neighbors were all out. Kids playing together again. The yard got mowed for the first time this season. Lots of yard work (still more to do, as always!). Definitely a day for grilling.

So I went to the freezer to see what I had that could be defrosted and grilled up. I found a bag of Honey Lime Grilled Chicken breasts. I think we made these before and found them so-so. BUT...I forgot to look back at the recipe and add a "seasoning blend" to them, which really makes a difference.

As written, the recipe calls for seasoning the chicken before marinating. Because I froze them, I marinated first, and planned on seasoning just before grilling. This time I remembered, and they were VERY good. The honey/lime/seasoned salt combo was right on.

If you are making them fresh, follow the recipe as written. If you'd like to make them ahead of time, put the chicken in the marinade, and freeze them. When they've defrosted, grill them as directed, and sprinkle the breasts with seasoning. I used Lawry's Seasoned salt, but I suppose you could really experiment and try several different seasoning combinations.

Honey Lime Grilled Chicken

1 lime, juiced
2 tbsp honey
1 rounded tsp cumin
a handful of cilantro, finely chopped, about 1/2 tbsp
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, canola, or corn oil
4 (6-8 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp grill seasoning blend or coarse salt and pepper

Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend or salt and pepper.
Coat chicken in dressing and set aside for 10 minutes or longer.
Grill chicken 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until chicken is no longer pink inside.

No comments: