Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Shrimp Pasta Salad with Cucumber and Dill

Pin It
This morning Katie declared that she was going to make dinner for the family tonight. I really didn't know what to expect. I was thinking a tortilla with beans or something creative yet possibly inedible. When I went to the store I asked her what she needed for her dinner. She asked for 1 pound of peeled & deveined shrimp and fresh dill.

Later I was tinkering on-line, and Brian was watching basketball, while we listened to Katie working in the kitchen. She washed, chopped, prepped, and cooked like a little pro! Every now and then she had a question (What does "al dente" mean?), but for the most part she just worked quietly and efficiently. Suddenly she declared that dinner was ready. I walked in the kitchen just as she was putting the final touches on the dish...sprinkling fresh dill, salt and fresh ground pepper in the bowl, as she mixed it up.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of seafood. Katie LOVES shrimp, cucumbers, and pasta, and was thrilled to find a dish that included so many of her favorites. I ate it without the shrimp, and Katie was quite happy to take my share for herself!

In the end, Katie declared that while it was good, it wasn't her favorite. It had a heavy lemon-dill flavoring from the dressing. Next time, she said, she'd keep the dressing separate, rather than mix it all together....which was her polite way of saying she liked the shrimp, cucumbers, and pasta!!

So, though this one won't become a family favorite, I was just too tickled with what she made that I had to share. Who knows? You may just love it...especially if you're a fan of lemon and dill flavoring!

3 comments:

Angelina said...

You're posting again! Yay!

Wow, what I wouldn't give to have my kiddo make dinner. That is so cool.

dg said...

I know! I'm so proud! My hope is that she'll leave the house knowing how to do a bit more than boil water and prepare boxed foods.

Crepes Recipes said...

Thanks great blog posst