Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, December 15, 2008

Reindeer Cookies

Pin It
Upon looking at the picture, you may wonder why in the world these are called Reindeer Cookies. There is nothing to suggest reindeer, not even the shape of the cookies. Years ago, I think when we were living in Indiana (so 15-18 years ago), I received this little gift bag of spices, a recipe, and a reindeer cookie cutter. The cookie cutter is long gone, but I saved the recipe, as it's my absolute favorite spice cookie. I have no clue what they were actually called, but for the last 15-18 years, we've called them Reindeer Cookies!

Reindeer Cookies


Cream:
½ C butter
1 C brown sugar

Add:
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together and add to creamy mixture:
1 ½ C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Chill one hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough to 1/8-1/4" thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour and cut cookies. Bake 8-10minutes.

When we were first married, Brian and I used to make these with a little hole in the top (made with a straw). We'd hang them on the Christmas tree and the house smelled wonderful all season long. I'd love to do that now, but I fear (rightfully so!) that this sweet thing would trample the tree to get at each and every hanging cookie decoration....

I'm not a big gingerbread fan, and I truly think you could substitute this recipe for a gingerbread house or any other gingerbread type creation. It's a pretty sturdy dough, as long as it's not cut into thin, intricate shapes. Someday I will try it as a gingerbread house. As I'm typing this out, I'm thinking I have enough in the fridge to make a small cottage. As tomorrow is a snow day, I will attempt it. Should be fun! Stay tuned....

No comments: