Food and Garden Dailies started as a way to record my family's favorite recipes. It has come in handy many times when I'm asked for a recipe. I simply email a link to the blog! But I couldn't just stick to recipes. The kitchen is tied to the garden in so many ways...and so I let you into my ever changing garden as well.

If you're interested in my all-time favorite recipes, check out this post first: My Favorite Recipes

Monday, February 4, 2008

Tandoori-Style Chicken

Pin It
This is dish from a recipe clipping (Good Housekeeping magazine) I've had for many years. We made this for dinner tonight, though I have to admit I didn't follow the cooking directions. I was multi-tasking and just skimmed the directions, not reading the part about putting the chicken pieces on a rack in a baking dish and cooking at 450 degrees. Instead, I just put the chicken and all the marinade in a 9 x 13 baking dish and cooked it at 375 degrees until it was done. I also added some slices of extra firm tofu in the pan for my vegetarian daughter.

Though tasty, my picture does not look anything like the picture from Good Housekeeping's website! I'm sure it's the same flavor, but I wonder what it would be like if I'd cooked it as directed. We'll have to make these again someday....correctly!

The sauce: Pretty mild in flavor, I'd like it to have a bit more of a punch. I think I'd try adding more of the red pepper....like a full teaspoon instead of 1/4. But I like things spicy.

Tandoori -Style Chicken
Good Housekeeping

Place in a bowl or zip-lock bag:
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Blend together:
8 oz plain low-fat yogurt
½ small onion, chopped
1 TB paprika
2 TB fresh lime juice
1 TB minced gingerroot
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
pinch ground cloves

Pour yogurt mix over chicken and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken on a rack in a roasting/baking pan. Spoon half of the marinade over the chicken. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve over white rice, garnishing with lime slices and/or grilled onions.

6 servings. Each serving: ~175 calories, 30 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated), 79 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium.

No comments: